Thursday, August 30, 2012

Update

Sorry I haven't updated for a while. It has been a busy week. I was able to spend all day Tuesday with Sam. It was quite a day. She had assessments by occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, and the doctor did his own assessment as well. It was a busy, hard day. One of the worst parts of the day is when she takes her medications. Her throat has some inflammation and it is still really sore. So, they give her liquid meds, but they taste terrible. I think it also makes her anxious to take meds because she is worried she is going to choke. It is terrible, but I know it will get better. After physical therapy she just cried and said, "It is just so hard." It broke my heart. They also put her into a wheelchair for the first time this day. I think that it was emotionally hard for her. She only stayed in it for a few minutes and then wanted to get out.
She had a rough night that night, but since then has been doing much better. Yesterday and today have been really good. She is SO busy! She gets a schedule every day and has therapy from 8am until 4 pm with an hour break for lunch. Today she was mostly in the gym for her therapy. She was in the wheelchair most of the day and my mom said she even drove it a little bit (they have an attachment on the joystick that she is able to control).
Her attitude continues to be amazing. My mom said she woke up about 5:30 this morning and just wanted to chat. She was laughing and joking with my mom. She was singing along to a song on CMT and her voice was raspy and she said, "Geez, I can't even sing good!" and then laughed at herself.  It is so amazing to me that she can be in such a difficult position, but is still able to laugh and be kind. She really is so amazingly strong. When I got here today she was exhausted from therapy, but was still happy and so cute with my boys. She is so great.
We are really happy to be at the U. She has amazing people caring for her. Dr. Rosenbluth is her doctor and he is amazing. He is so positive and kind and encouraging. Her main physical therapist is Aaron and he is great. He is so confident and competent in his job. Sam really loves him and I think that makes her want to work harder. Everyone has been really great and we are so thankful to be where she is receiving the best possible care.
Thank you again for all of your love and support. My mom and I were talking about how amazing everyone has been. My mom said, "How can I ever repay everyone? I just want to rent a billboard and put a huge THANK YOU on it." Obviously we can never repay all of you, but please know all you are doing is not going unnoticed. We can't even talk about it without crying. We are so blessed to be surrounded by such a huge group of loving friends and family.
Please continue to keep Sam in your prayers-especially that she can continue to have a good attitude and that her throat can heal so she can eat more and take her meds more easily. Thanks again! Love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is kendall brandon I am friends with Whitney Bair. I was so sorry to hear about what happened to Sam. My husband and I know exactly what you guys are going through! About 3 years ago my husband got in an accident and broke his neck ( c6 c7 ). He is now paralyzed from the chest down. We have been where you are so if you need any help or just someone that understands please let us know. That is what help nate and I out so much. I just surrounded myself with people that had been through this part already. My phone number is 801-420-8639. Make sure you leave a message if I don't answer. And my email is kbrandon21@yahoo.com. I feel like I could help you guys out.
    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Sam is constantly in our thoughts and prayers. You make me laugh and cry with your posts. You are a great sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! I am sure it is so hard for Sam in all capacities, but I love to see how she remains to uplift and be STRONG even though she is having hard moments. Everyday I am amazed and everyday I pray for all of you. Tell Jill that no re-pay would ever be expected...this is what family, friends, and even strangers do for each other in a time of need! :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete