Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Feet!

Sam had a good day yesterday. She was really worn out from her physical therapy and slept a lot of the day. Late in the day she mentioned to Jordan that she moved her feet! We all freaked out! My dad couldn't believe that she didn't tell us. She said she was just tired and forgot. But, during physical therapy they were pushing her legs to her chest. They told her to push her feet down and she did it! She couldn't totally feel it, but the therapist told her to keep going because she really was doing it on her own! She also was able to feel when they touched her legs. The left leg she felt every time they touched her. Her right leg wasn't quite as good, but she could feel most of the touch on that leg. She isn't quite able to localize the touch, but we are just so happy that she has any feeling at all.
Medically speaking Sam is doing a lot better. The first few days she was on a levophed drip so her blood pressure did not stay too low. She is off that drip and her blood pressure has been really good. Her lungs are also doing a lot better. She didn't have any oxygen on at all during physical therapy. Later in the day she was on just a little bit and at night they are still having her wear the bipap, but overall her lungs are a lot better.
My mom wanted me to share this story. A few months ago my mom, Kellsi, and Sam were in my mom's bathroom getting ready. As they all stood there Sam noticed how much bigger her neck was and said, "Why is my neck so huge compared to yours?" They just laughed about it. Well, last night Sam told my mom, "Now I know why my neck is so big. It had to be big to protect my spine." It is pretty remarkable that her cord was not severed at all and she is probably right that her big, strong neck did protect it.
The nurse let me take the boys in to see Sam. I had set up Skype and told my mom to see if Sam was ready to see the boys on Skype. She told my mom she just really wished she could see them. So, my mom asked the nurse and he said it would be okay for a few minutes. So, I took them in. I think she loved seeing them and Jackson was SO happy to see her! It was just a short visit, but it was really good for them to see each other.
Sam will probably be leaving the ICU and going to rehab sometime this week. She will likely be moving to the University of Utah rehab. This definitely isn't as convenient for my parents, but the physical therapist said it really is the best rehab and we think that is where my parents insurance will cover. I think she will do so well in rehab. She is such a hard worker and I think it will help her to really start progressing physically.
Sam seems a little bit down yesterday and today. I can't imagine what she is going through emotionally. She is pretty hesitant to talk about things with us so I told my dad to get the social worker in to visit with her. Please continue to keep her in your prayers-for both of her emotional and physical health.

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear this!! I didn't really know Sam until the night of the accident, but I could automatically tell what a special person she is. She looked right at me, asked my name, and then asked if she was going to be ok. I held back the tears as I told her everything would be fine. I have learned that, even though life might not turn out how we prefer or expect, things will be ok. Please tell Sam she is in my prayers and I think of her every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay Strong Sam. So proud of you and your dedication. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of Sam and how strong she is physically and mentally. She will be okay. Thanks for the updates. Countless people ask about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting updates. Even though we moved from Nephi 5 1/2 years ago, it is still 'home'. We love our Nephi family, and share the joy and the pain of those back home. We have been and will continue to keep Sam and your sweet family in our prayers. xoxo Jim and Lisa Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so exciting that she was able to move her feet and have feeling in her legs. She is an amazing young lady! We love you Sam and we're cheering for you. If anyone can do it, you can! You're continually in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you Sam and we're all cheering you on! Thanks so much for these updates! I find myself checking facebook or the blog several times a day for more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome!!! Please keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam, you are awesome! We love you guys! Look forward to seeing that terrific smile in person soon!

    ReplyDelete