Sunday, August 19, 2012

Miracles


Let me tell you about miracles. If you don’t believe in them then let me try and convince you how real they are. I saw a picture today of the car that my sister and her friends crashed in and I can assure you, Samantha being alive is a miracle. The depth that the roof caved in would have decapitated almost anyone, and Samantha is here without a slight hint of brain damage. A 30 year neurosurgeon told us that Samantha’s spinal cord was certainly severed because of the massive trauma from the crash, and the MRI showed that NONE of the cord was severed though it still suffered some trauma.  I saw Samantha, a girl that only days before was told she would be virtually a quadrapalegic, reach out to her dad as he came to see her today. All of this I have seen in only a few days time. Today, to top it off, I saw Samantha sit up for almost 15 min and smile the most beautiful smile I have ever seen cross her face. If you don’t believe in miracles I assure you that one visit to Samantha’s angel filled room will erase all doubt from your mind. There are angels here. I know it for a certainty.

It has been a wonderful day. I had the opportunity to stay with Samantha last night and spend time with her. No time during my stay did I not feel at peace or not at ease. She breathed easily, she drank all of the nasty protein drinks I gave her, and she talked to me easily. She scared me for a second when she squeaked, but told me she just had a bad dream and couldn’t even remember it. At around 3 in the morning she kept trying to tell me something and I couldn’t understand. I took her mask of for a second and she said, “Please scratch my eyebrow. It itches so much.” I ended up scratching it a couple more times today. It brings a smile to my face thinking about it.

We had sacrament today with an older couple who are members of the LDS church that work in the hospital to bring people the sacrament. It was so spiritual. Perhaps the most spiritual sacrament meeting I have ever been in. Last night Samantha had me read to her from the Book of Mormon, and after 1 chapter I thought she would want me to stop. She told me to keep reading. After the second, she told me to keep reading even though she might fall asleep. I did so, and she struggled to stay awake to hear it all. She fell asleep 4 verses from the end.

I thank my Heavenly Father that she is such an amazing young woman and that she doesn’t blame God for anything. She has so much faith, and courage, and loyalty to her Father in Heaven it just blows me away. Bitterness seems to creep in to so many circumstances like these, but Samantha doesn’t have a bitter bone in her body. She is the perfect example, and she teaches everyone around her what true bravery really is.

UPDATE:
She has been eating better today and actually finished half of a grilled cheese, and she has two boosts down already. She has been very talkative and funny, like always J

Samantha was sitting in the front right of the car. If you can't tell, her spot was almost completely smashed in.
This was Sam during her physical therapy session.


10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for creating this blog so that we could follow Sam's recovery. Please give your Mom my love and let her know that you are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! Thanks so much for sharing and Jordan how lucky she is to have you as her brothers! You guys are a great family! Get better soon Sam!
    Marcy Worwood Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miracles indeed! We love you Sam and are continuing to pray for you. We love hearing about the progress you are making and know that good things will continue to happen each day. We're cheering for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Guillory family for sharing Sams story. I can see the Lords hands at work, His tender mercies are evident. Hang in there Sam we are all behind you.

      Delete
  4. What a miracle! Go Samantha - she is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a moment to figure out who this beautiful young girl was.., then it hit me like a ton of bricks! I was in your Ward Many years ago when I lived in Nephi. Your family is so Adorable and your Mother is such a sweet Lady. The tears are streaming down my face with each and every part of this blog I have read. Thank you for sharing Sams Miracle with Us. Please tell your Mother I said hello and send my love to you all. I will keep you in my thoughts and Prayers. Stay strong Sam and keep the faith, you are an Inspiration to us all.
    Love, Kari Smith-Donivan Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I have no idea why that posted twice... I guess im praying and thinking of ya twice as much. Hugs, thoughts and prayers to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a from Tevan's email home this week. I wanted to share with you guys. "I have heard from several people about Samantha Guillory. I was SOOO sad to hear that. I have been praying for her often and have thought about her while in the temple as well. I hope she is doing well along with her family. I just love Jill so much. She truly is such an awesome example of someone who is just so happy hearted and sincerely cares about everyone. I hope all is well."

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a portion of Tevan's letter this week. I just wanted to share with you guys. "I have heard from several people about Samantha Guillory. I was SOOO sad to hear that. I have been praying for her often and have thought about her while in the temple as well. I hope she is doing well along with her family. I just love Jill so much. She truly is such an awesome example of someone who is just so happy hearted and sincerely cares about everyone. I hope all is well."

    ReplyDelete