Saturday, August 25, 2012

Progress

I was able to spend last night with Sam. Around bedtime she had a visit from her good friend Megan. She is so blessed to have good friends. She just lights up when her friends are here. After Megan left she was in a great mood! We stayed up and talked and laughed and watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. 
Her night was okay. Her night was okay. They want her to wear the bipap when she sleeps, but it is really uncomfortable and the respiratory therapist was having a hard time getting the fit right. 
This afternoon Kellsi and Kaitlin brought a bunch of cards. Kaitlin opened one and Sam told her that she wanted to read it herself. She reached for the card and almost grabbed it, but was unable to do it. We were so excited with how well she moved her arms and hands, but she just started to cry. She was so frustrated. Then she said, "I just want my legs. I just want my legs." It was one the hardest things to witness. She has been so strong and positive. This was really her first break down. I hate watching her go through this, but I know she has so many things going for her. She will be okay, but she definitely has a long, hard road ahead of her. It was so sad.
She is in much better spirits tonight! She had a visit from her friend Maddi and that always makes her happy. She went outside twice today and did really well with her physical therapy. She even asked for therapy today. Just now Jordan was touching on her legs and she felt it. She could feel really well on her right leg and could even tell he was touching her with his thumb. Her left leg is not quite as good. She can feel pressure, but can't localize. She really is doing so well. 
She is going to move to the University of Utah rehab on Monday. She is a little nervous to go, but I think it will be good for her to get started on rehab. 
Thanks again for all of the love, support, and prayers. We are so grateful to know that so many people are in Sam's corner! Everyone at the hospital knows who she is. When her friends came last night the security guard knew who she was and said to tell her he was thinking of her. She is definitely making a difference in so many people's lives. 
I can't believe how much my testimony has grown in 11 days. I am so thankful for the knowledge I have of my Savior. He truly loves us and is aware of our needs. I continue to be amazed at the miracles we witness everyday.

5 comments:

  1. That is amazing. You are such a good sister to always be there for her. She has such a great family. I'm glad she is getting feeling in her legs, especially the right leg. So happy for all the help and support she is getting. And pretty much getting from the whole city of Nephi!!! :) Wish there was something I could do to help. Maybe watch the kiddos or something. Keep hanging in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure missed seeing Sam's sweet smile in YW today!! Please let her know that I am thinking of her and pray for her every day. <3 Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure missed seeing Sam's smiling face in Young Women's today!! Please let her know that I'm thinking of and praying for her. <3 Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to read Sam's progress. I don't know her personally but I know your family. My husband,Todd, was on the wrestling team with your brother Jordan and I know your mom from always supporting each JUAB sporting event! We are keeping Sam and your family in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete