Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Good Weekend

Sam has been doing really well. She had a great weekend! She doesn't have as much therapy on the weekends so she is able to relax and get some needed rest. She had a bunch of her friends come up on Saturday and Sunday and it made her so happy! She loves her friends and being with them really puts her in a good mood. We are so grateful for her friends!
On Friday the doctor and all of the therapists met with Sam and my parents for a conference (I had to work so I didn't go). My mom said it went really well. They are happy with the progress she has made so far. They still have no idea how much function she will regain, but they are hopeful that she can still make a lot of progress. The doctor said there is a bike that pedals your legs and really works the muscles so that when she gets use of her legs they are still strong and ready to be used. It is really expensive, but they are going to look into grants and using the money from the fundraisers and donations from everyone.
In my last post I asked you to pray for her throat and prayers were answered again. Her throat started feeling much better. It is still hard for her to swallow, but not as bad as before. She has been eating a little bit and is getting better every day. So, thank you for the prayers! It is pretty amazing to see the power of so many combined prayers. I truly know that when we sincerely pray our prayers will be answered.
My mom said Sam had a great day today. Her therapy was really intense, but she did well. She was even able to use her iPad a little bit today! They have an attachment that goes on her hand and allows her to swipe the screen. I am sure it will take practice to do all she wants to, but it is a start!
Her arm and hand movement really seems to be improving. It is so slow and small, but when compared to where she was a couple of weeks ago she really has come a long way. Her triceps are still really weak so that makes it difficult to do certain arm movements. She still has no movement of her lower body, but she has had more sensation. Multiple times last week she would ask my mom to take her blankets off of her feet because they were hot. And last night the nurse said she had some sensation during her bowel care. These all seem to be good signs and we just hope and pray that the improvements keep happening.
Sam continues to have an amazing attitude. We all knew she was an awesome person, but we had no idea how truly strong she is. She is not angry or bitter at all, which is just amazing to me. She even jokes about her situation. I know she will have hard days and will have breakdowns, but I am so proud of how she is handling everything.
We are so grateful for the continued prayers and support. We honestly feel the power of prayers at all times. It feels like we are just surrounded by love and concern. Please continue to keep Sam in your prayers, especially that her triceps and hands can regain function so she can start to be more independent. Thank you all so much!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for good days! I'm happy that Sam is progressing well. When I was in a similar situation my hands and triceps were the last things to come back (and still my triceps strength isn't fully there). It literally took 6-12 months for my hands. I say that not to discourage but to encourage you all to not give up.

    Sam, I don't know you but I think about you all the time. Keep going, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes my heart happy to see progress from sam! Keep you're chin up and keep up the good work! You and you're family are in our thoughts and prayers everyday! ~Eschel Evon

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Sam ends up doing out patient therapy she should look I to neroworks they are awesome and have helped people in her situation. They have some amazing equipment like that bike and they have aqua therapy which takes gravity out of the picture. They are all very amazing!

    ReplyDelete