Monday, October 1, 2012

Rapid Progress

On Friday Dr. Rosenbluth came to see Sam. He sees her everyday, but he hasn't done a full assessment for a long time. Friday he did and he was so happy with how she is doing. He looked at my mom and said, "That is progress. Actually that is rapid progress." She is really doing so amazingly well! Her arm and hand movement is so much better. When she got to the U they rated all of her muscles on a 0-5 scale. Her right tricep was 0.5 and her left was trace. Now her right is a 3.5 and her left is a 3. Because her arm strength has improved so much they are going to start teaching her how to use a manual wheelchair! A few weeks ago she said she wanted to go home with a manual chair. I honestly did not think it was possible. But, here she is proving everyone wrong again! She is so amazing!
She is getting so much more independent. She can feed herself most things and can hold her mug to take a drink. She is most happy that she can scratch her face by herself. They are starting to teach her how to dress herself as well.
Last Wednesday we were supposed to go to City Creek, but they decided to do some type of test that day so she couldn't leave for that long. Instead, we went to Foothill Village for a little while. She did so well. My mom said she was pretty somber when leaving the hospital, but by the time we met up with her at the shopping center she was in a good mood. This was her first time outside of a hospital since the accident. She was able to independently maneuver her chair through all of the stores we went to. Her occupational therapist had her practice different things in the stores like opening a lotion bottle, taking a shirt off the rack, etc. Jackson has some popcorn and Sam wanted some. She was able to pick it up out of my hand and feed it to herself. I was just so impressed with how well she did. It was a fun outing. This week we are for sure going to City Creek so we are looking forward to that!
We have again been overwhelmed by the support people have shown. Sam's 5k is next week and 200 people have registered (there is still time to register if you haven't)! The high school had a dance for her and raised over $3000. During a football game the Spanish Fork fans donated over $1200. So many things have been done and we can't thank you all enough. My mom hates that she can't thank everyone individually, but please know we appreciate it so so so much!
Yesterday at church one of my Young Women gave a talk about faith. It really touched me and made me realize how much my faith has been tested and grown the last six weeks. Shortly after the accident I was reading Moroni 7. Verse 42 says, "Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope; for without faith there cannot be any hope." I have had to remind myself of this principle throughout this trial. Probably because I am a nurse I can be very skeptical about recovery expectations. But, I remind myself to have hope and faith and to believe that anything can  happen for Samantha. Already she is doing so much more than were were originally told she would be. I learned an important lesson earlier this year that Heavenly Father can make anything happen. I know this is pretty basic knowledge, but I had an experience that really made this evident to me. If we don't hope for the best for Sam how can we expect it to happen? We have to hope and pray for the best and then be willing to accept whatever happens. I am so happy with the "rapid progress" Sam has made and I can't wait to see what else she accomplishes!

Sam's first outing! Holding Gavin in Bath and Body Works




2 comments:

  1. Ask the doctors about a power assist wheel chair. It is a Manuel chair but the wheels have motors so they help the chair go with the slightest push. ( My husband has one ). I also wanted to say that we go through a company called symbious medical for our wheelchairs and medical supplies and they have been a really good company to work eith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys seem to have a very good testimony. Hold on to that because it will get you through this and it will grow so much its amazing!!

    ReplyDelete