Sunday, October 21, 2012

Overdue Update

I am so behind on updating! Sam has had a couple of really good weeks. She is progressing more and more every day. Last week for her outing we went to Gardner Village to see the witches. We had such a great time! That day was the first time that Sam used her manual wheelchair outside. She did so well! I was so proud of her. Gardner Village is not the most wheelchair accessible, but she really coped well. One store had a really narrow ramp, but her therapists wanted her to go up it. It took a couple of tries, but she was able to do it. I know she was frustrated, but I was happy with how she handled it. Once we moved on to the next store she was over it and was happy again. She got the cutest bed set at The Quilt Shop. She can't wait to see it in her new bedroom!
This week Sam got to go to City Creek with her friend, Maddi. My mom was able to take Sam in the truck and do all of the transfers by herself! They had a fun time. Sam got dressed up and put make-up on for the first time since the accident! She looked so cute! She even did most of her make-up by herself and my dad finished up.
Sam is starting to have more sensation and movement. She is able to move all of the fingers in both of her hands. She still has numbness in specific places on her arms and hands, but the movement is really improving. She also has some sensation behind her thighs. I am with Sam right now and I asked her what her newest trick is. She said, "I can move all of the fingers in my left hand and I can give a thumbs up." The doctor told her that he is really pleased with how well she is doing and that she is much further than he thought she would be at this point. She is going home on Tuesday! She is pretty excited to get home and see her new room and bathroom and to be able to spend more time with her friends. She will continue to have therapy at the U Hospital three times a week.
Her attitude continues to be amazing! I have been with her all afternoon and we have had the best time! She just makes me laugh. My mom told me a story and I wanted to share it. It just shows how wonderful my cute sister is. There is a little boy that Sam sees frequently in the hospital. He is eight years old and had a spinal cord injury. His is higher up and the cord was completely severed. Sam feels so bad for the little boy. Last week she said to my mom, "We really need to fast and pray for that little boy." Sam has so far to go herself and the fact that she is wanting to fast and pray for someone else just blows me away. She is a pretty fantastic girl!

Sam and Maddi shopping!

Beautiful Sam and Pretty Maddi

The Student Body Officers came to see Sam. She loved their visit!

Sam and Jackson at Gardner Village
I am planning on going to Nephi with her this week so I will update soon about how the transition goes! Thanks so much to everyone for the continued prayers and support. We appreciate it so much and love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is Kelsey Christensen, I played on the spanish fork softball team that sam played on during the summer! Our volleyball team is at Juab today and walking into the school all I could think of was Sam! I hope she is doing well and continues to get better! I look up to her strength and her positive attitude so much! She is such an example to me and I'm really glad I had the blessing to meet her! She is such a wonderful person and I am so proud of her! I will never forget all of our great times at softball and I hope to see her again soon! Tell her I say hi and I hope she is doing really good and having a great day:)

    ReplyDelete